As of 9:30 a.m. Thursday, the Allen County Highway Department South Barn reports the following roads are closed due to high water:
- Smith Rd. between Lwr. Huntington Rd. & Yohne Rd. – road undermined
- Prine Rd. between S. Co. Line Rd. & Yoder Rd. – road undermined
- Winters Rd. east of Aboite Rd. - road washed out
- Branstrator Rd. between Lwr. Huntington Rd. & Yohne Rd.
Additionally, the following roads while not closed are affected by high water:
- Ellison Rd. between Branstrator Rd. & Liberty Mills Rd.
- Yohne Rd. between Branstrator Rd. & Smith Rd.
The Highway Department reminds motorists that if they encounter a flooded roadway, be sure to "Turn Around, Don't Drown." According to the National Weather Service, most flash flooding deaths are vehicle related. Six inches of standing water is enough to cause passenger cars to stall and a foot of water will float many vehicles. Motorists should never drive through flooded roadways, especially if the water is moving rapidly, and never drive around the barriers warning you that the road is flooded.