Allen County’s plans to replace five bridges over the next five to seven years will be receiving federal dollars to cover construction costs.
The Indiana Department of Transportation informed the Allen County Highway Department this week that more than $6.6 million in federal funding has been awarded for the projects. The federal aid will fund 80% of the construction costs. INDOT says additional federal funds may become available to help cover engineering and right-of-way acquisition costs.
Two of the five bridge replacement projects are expected to be bid in late 2023 or 2024, with construction occurring 12 to 18 months following the bidding. They are:
- Bluffton Road bridge over the Harbor Ditch just south of Winters Road (total estimated cost, including engineering and right-of-way acquisition: $2.4 million)
- Monroeville Road bridge over the Hoffman Ditch just west of Fackler Road (total estimated cost: $1.7 million)
The other three bridge projects are scheduled to be bid in late 2024 or early 2025, with construction taking place 12 to 18 months following the bidding. They are:
- Amber Road bridge over the Little River where Amber intersects with Branning Road (total estimated cost: $1.2 million)
- Antwerp Road bridge over the Oberhaltzer Ditch on the west edge of Harlan (total estimated cost: $1.5 million)
- Slusher Road bridge over the Edgerton-Carson Ditch immediately west of Brobst Road (total estimated cost: $3.4 million)